Unfortunately, there are people today who are being exploited and ‘modern slavery’ has been recognised as an issue we should all look to be aware of.
If you are concerned about a potential victim, or suspicious about a situation that is potentially exploitative, you can call the Modern Slavery Helpline on 0800 0121 700. This helpline is open 24/7 and is entirely confidential. Specially trained advisors can take details of your concerns and pass them on to the appropriate agency to ensure victims are safeguarded and supported as quickly as possible.
If you believe a person is being trafficked and is in immediate danger, you should call 999 straight away.
Listed below are some of the signs that might indicate modern slavery and human trafficking:
- Physical appearance – look malnourished or unkempt, anxious/agitated or appear withdrawn and neglected. They may have untreated injuries
- Isolation – rarely allowed to travel on their own, seem under control, rarely interact or appear unfamiliar with their neighbourhood or where they work
- Poor living conditions – living in dirty, cramped or overcrowded accommodation, and/or living and working at the same address
- Restricted freedom of movement – have no identification documents, have few personal possessions and wear the same clothes daily
- Unusual travel times – dropped off/collected from work on a regular basis either very early or late at night, unusual travel arrangements such as children being dropped off/picked up in private cars/taxis at unusual times
- Reluctant to seek help – avoiding eye contact, appear frightened or hesitant to talk to stangers
You can find out more information here.
If you are concerned about a neighbour or a Magenta Living customer, please contact us on 0808 100 9596 as we may be able to help them or signpost them to gain help or support.