Pets Policy


We allow you to keep pets where you have the facilities to look after them properly in most circumstances. However, irresponsible pet ownership can cause suffering to animals and nuisance to neighbours. So we must include rules to control pet ownership in the tenancy agreement. For our Pets Policy please click here


Update on XL Bully dogs

Following a concerning rise in attacks and fatalities caused by XL Bully dogs, the Government has added this breed to the list of dogs banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

To help current owners understand the new laws, which could raise concerns about what to do, we have set out some information below.

From 31 December 2023 it will be against the law to:

  • sell or exchange an XL Bully dog
  • abandon an XL Bully dog or let it stray
  • give away an XL Bully dog
  • breed from an XL Bully dog
  • have an XL Bully in public without a lead and muzzle (a public place includes inside a vehicle, the muzzle must prevent the dog from biting a person and the person in charge of the lead must be at least 16 years old)

From 1 February 2024 it will be a criminal offence to own an XL Bully dog in England and Wales unless your dog has a Certificate of Exemption. 

This certificate includes the need for third-party liability insurance and for the dog to be microchipped (already a legal requirement).  The dog will also need to be neutered.  Certificates cost £92.40 per dog and these need to be in place by the end of February.

Read Keeping an XL Bully dog to find out how to get a Certificate of Exemption.


Further information

How to check if your dog is an XL Bully - Official definition of an XL Bully dog - GOV.UK (

How to muzzle train your dog - Dogs and muzzle training | Blue Cross

The Government has said that they will offer £200 per dog if an owner decides to have the dog put down rather than get an Exemption Certificate. No details have yet been provided for how this will operate.

If you believe a dog is dangerous or banned, you can report it to the police on 101.


What will Magenta Living do?

If you live in a Magenta Living property and own an XL Bully, we expect you to comply with all requirements and may ask for proof of this. You may need to provide us with a Certificate of Exemption. If you fail to provide this, we will report this to the relevant authorities to enforce this.

If you believe a dog is dangerous or banned, you can report it to the Police on 101.  If you believe a customer of ours has a dangerous or banned dog, please contact us on 0808 100 9596 to advise us of your concerns after you have informed the Police. We will then work with the Police to establish if the animal is licensed and exempt or if action needs to be taken.




Apply to keep a pet

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory

View our  Privacy Notice  to see how we use your information. 

Your Details:

Details of the pet or pets you wish to keep

Pet 1

Pet 2

Please skip if only one pet being applied for.

Pet 3

Please skip if only one or two pets are being applied for.

Current tenants:


I confirm I have read and understand the leaflet Keeping pets in a Magenta Living property and understand my responsibilities under my tenancy/leasehold agreement.

I understand that I am fully responsible for the care, welfare and behaviour of my pets and will ensure that they do not cause any nuisance or distress to my neighbours or others.

I understand that Magenta Living has the right to withdraw any permission to keep a pet and that irresponsible pet owners will not be allowed to keep pets in a Magenta Living property.